Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book of Mormon challenge

     It is the end of transfers, so yesterday we had a transfer meeting. This one was much different than any of the other ones that I have been a part of. This one was a mission wide transfer meeting. All of us went to the Hill Camora to hear what our mission president had to say. We sat in the pavilion right on the hill, which is a pretty special moment to have every missionary there on the hill to talk about the Book of Mormon, especially since that is where the Book of Mormon was found.

      Earlier this year we had Elder Costa of the quorum of the seventy come to our mission to talk to everyone. During the time that he was with us, he gave some promises regarding miracles that would happen within this mission, if we showed forth the faith and actually believed that such miracles could happen. For our mission is no different than that of of those in the Book of Mormon who went and taught the Lamanites. So our Mission President, in his efforts to help these miracles come forth, has challenged all of us, as companionships, to read the Book of Mormon all the way through within one transfer. That means we will have to read 13 pages per day, everyday. Miracles can really happen if you put faith into what you are doing.

      Right before I came out on my mission, I had a similar goal. I was going to read the Book of Mormon as fast as I could. I spent every hour that I had to read the Book of Mormon, Day and night. When I woke up, I began reading as I ate breakfast. During lunch I read, and even during the whole night I read. Whenever there was available time, I read the Book of Mormon. I figured that I was going on a mission and I had better read again the book that I was going to be teaching about, and know it better than I had before. I finished reading the Book of Mormon in less than a week. I believe it took me from Monday morning to Saturday night.

    So what did I gain by doing that. More than I have realized, and yet I still realize what that did for me. I went into the Missionary Training Center with a knowledge of the Book of Mormon already. I was able to learn more because I already knew a lot through reading it. I know that it has helped my testimony of what I believe, and given a better ability to teach about the Book of Mormon.

    So what can you gain from it? I know that you can gain the same as me. Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon and puts faith to what they read, and follows what the Book of Mormon teaches, will have a greater faith in Jesus Christ and will have blessings and guidance and comfort that they never knew they could have or feel. We had a promise from our mission president regarding missionary work by reading the Book of Mormon and using it more fully. And the Book of Mormon contains the promise that everyone will be blessed as well. Try it and see what will happen if you read the Book of Mormon all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment